Functions as a Security Layer

From: Benjamin Stookey <jamstooks(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Functions as a Security Layer
Date: 2006-01-09 03:43:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Functions, with some databases, are used as security
layers so that a user that wouldn't otherwise have
read/write privileges on a table can perform some sort
of controlled update.

I've written a function to serve as a type of counter
to update a table called "users". This function takes
one (relevant) parameter: userID. This then updates
the counter with that user's id. However, I am getting
a permissions error because the users who run the
function don't have write access to the counter table.

My question is, can I somehow give permissions to the
function, but not to the user to protect the counter
table from being modified in any ways I don't want?

Thanks,
-Ben

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com