Re: Best Type to use

From: "Kevin Crenshaw" <kcrenshaw(at)viscient(dot)com>
To: <ketema(at)ketema(dot)net>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best Type to use
Date: 2006-01-05 20:10:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

You can also use the TEXT data type. Just convert your binary data to
base64 and write it to a field in your database like you would any other
type of text. This method takes up more space than the other methods but it
avoids some of the headaches of dealing with bytea.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION SAVE_TCP_DUMP(TEXT) RETURNS VOID AS $$
BEGIN
INSERT INTO mytable(tcpdump) VALUES($1);
END;
$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

HTH,
Kevin