Re: Inconsistent syntax in GRANT

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistent syntax in GRANT
Date: 2006-01-04 02:18:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

--- Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> escreveu:

> However,
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE table1 TO someuser;
> ... works, while ....
> GRANT SELECT ON SEQUENCE table1_id_seq TO someuser;
> ... raises an error.
>
> This is inconsistent. Do people agree with me that the parser
> should
> accept "SEQUENCE" there, since the optional object name works for all
>
> other objects? Is there some technical reason this is difficult to
> do?

It should but it's not implemented yet. There is no difficulty in doing
it. But I want to propose the following idea: if some object depends on
another object and its type is 'DEPENDENCY_INTERNAL' we could
grant/revoke privileges automagically to it. Or maybe create another
type of dependency to do so.
Comments?

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br