inherits index

From: Matthew Peter <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: inherits index
Date: 2006-01-02 08:06:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a parent table that is inherited by a couple others... Would it be best to set up an index on the children tables column that is inherited by the parent, or should I index the parent column that is inherited by the children? The children tables are the ones called frequently, not the parent. I just want to help the planner to use the most effective way by setting it up properly for parsing, especially if these tables get really big.

Thanks, Matt

Yahoo! Photos