Re: Documentation TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation TODO list
Date: 2003-03-09 18:14:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

> All of these things are already done in my local copy. I'm currently
> preparing the documentation for a book publisher, so I've been
> accumulating a rather massive amount of these kinds of fixes. I think
> once they've passed by the other reviewers involved in this process I'll
> commit them.

I'd suggest committing sooner rather than later, or you are going to
suffer a daunting merge problem. You don't think the CVS docs are going
to hold still for long, do you?

I've watched tech writers at both Great Bridge and Red Hat make exactly
this mistake: accumulate huge amounts of editorial fixes, and then
discover that there wasn't any practical way to merge with the community
docs when it came time to do so --- because the community docs had
diverged from what they started from. Please don't follow in their
footsteps.

regards, tom lane

PS: a book project sounds cool. Can you give any details?