Re: a few questions

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: "surabhi(dot)ahuja" <surabhi(dot)ahuja(at)iiitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a few questions
Date: 2005-12-29 09:54:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:09:52PM +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> I have a few questions:
> 1. what is pg_xlog
> someone told me that i can move pg_xlog to a different parttion in order to boost the performance? Does it work and how

Yes, it works. How? By moving the directory (while the postmaster is
not running) and creating a symlink in the right place.

> 2. there is a parameter in postgresql.conf called max_connections. which is 100 be default. i want o decrease it to 20.
> by doing this how much can i increase the value of shared buffers?
> by default it is 1000, how much can i increase to in order to boost up the performance

They have nothing to do with eachother. Depending on how much memory
you have, the shared_buffers could be increased by a factor of 10. Max
connections won't change anything there.

> 3. What other things can i do to boost up the performance assuming that the stored procedures are well optimized.

Google the web, or try the pgsql-performence mailing list.

> 4. I recently tried to start postmaster. But it simply timed out. i tried to find out if there is any postmaster process running, but it was not running.
> my question is that can u decrease this timeout, right now i think it takes some 1 or 2 minutes...

Look in the logs for an error message.

> 5. i have also seen multiple instances of postmaster.
> in my script ot start postmaster i first check if it is running by doing pidof, and only if it is nor running i start it
> still have seen multiple instances.
> how did that happen? also if i stop postmaster, only one instance is stopped.

Each connection appears as a new process, so pidof wont't work. You
need to use the pidfile the postmaster creates. Why arn't you using one
of the startup scripts provided?

> is there any command to stop all instances of postmaster

Are you sure you have more than one?

> 6. what does ipcclean do? how do i know what shared memory was used by postmaster so that i can clear it, before starting postmaster

PostgreSQL takes care of it's own ipc memory, you should never need to
use ipcclean ever.

> 7. some times if i do a dropdb abc(assuming abc is a database)
> it displays a message can not remove directory 12345, although the database is dropped, what shuld be done in such a case?

Please provide the exact error message. Oh, and while you're at it,
what platform and what version of postgres. Without that info it's
impossible to give any real help,

Have a nice day,