Re: ?linux distro?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Randy Burkhardt <randy(dot)burkhardt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ?linux distro?
Date: 2005-12-29 01:28:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Randy Burkhardt <randy(dot)burkhardt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm putting Postgresql 8.1 on linux intel x86 boxes
> for getting my
> Postgresql feet wet. Which linux distros are good
> for Postgresql 8.1?
> Desktop type or otherwise..

Randy, i saw the gentoo recommendation. my
understanding of gentoo is that it can take a long
time to compile (i think this term is used correctly)
programs, but when they are compiled, the programs are
optimized and noticeably faster than on comparable
systems.

i've heard of over 12 hour installs. perhaps this is
exageration. having said that, i've heard people rave
about the speed of the system once it is set up.

if you want a fast system (once set up) and don't mind
waiting for extended compile times, gentoo is will
likely serve you very well.

if you want faster install times, and don't mind
slightly slower operation times, you might try a
debian based distro like simply simply mepis,
opensuse10 or kubuntu (or ubuntu if you want to go
with gnome, the others are kde based). if you have an
older system, you can install debian directly, or go
with d*mn small linux (dsl) or puppy linux (both about
60MB of operating system).

debian seems to have a very good package manager that
is able to avoid many dependency issues.

i don't think installing pgsql is very difficult as
long as choose a distro with a good package manager.

i installed pgsql (but haven't configured it... yet)
using synaptic (apt's graphical interface)... i
searched for postgresql, i marked it for install, i
clicked "apply". i waited a minute or two.

i'm probably going to set up a straight debian server
with with the bare minimum software to run as my web
and database server. the fewer the programs running,
the more secure your system will be.

i use mepis at home, but i would also like to try open
suse, ubuntu and kubuntu at some point.

best of luck.