debugging techniques

From: Klein Balázs <Balazs(dot)Klein(at)axelero(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: debugging techniques
Date: 2005-12-28 00:43:29
Lists: pgsql-general

I am debugging a plpgsql function.
I came from an MSSQL server and I am missing a few techniques here so I
apologize for using MS as my reference.

Is there a variable that stores the number of records the last statement
effected? - in MS it was @@RowCount, I could constantly check its value as I
stepped through the code

Is there a quick way to see a recordset in during the debug (not just the
final recordset) - in MS the debugger always displayed the result of Select
statements so by inserting one I could check intermediary results.

(I am experimenting with EMS SQL Manager now to step through the code).

Thanks.
SWK