Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: Frank Wiles <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>
To: Juan Casero <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-24 19:50:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:31:54 -0500
Juan Casero <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

> Sorry folks. I had a couple of glasses of wine as I wrote this.
> Anyway I originally wanted the box to have more than two drives so I
> could do RAID 5 but that is going to cost too much. Also, contrary
> to my statement below it seems to me I should run the 32 bit
> postgresql server on the 64 bit kernel. Would you agree this will
> probably yield the best performance? I know it depends alot on the
> system but for now this database is about 20 gigabytes. Not too large
> right now but it may grow 5x in the next year.

You definitely DO NOT want to do RAID 5 on a database server. That
is probably the worst setup you could have, I've seen it have lower
performance than just a single hard disk.

RAID 1 and RAID 1+0 are optimal, but you want to stay far away from
RAID 5. IMHO RAID 5 is only useful on near line backup servers or
Samba file servers where space is more important than speed.

Frank Wiles <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>
http://www.wiles.org