Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Antal Attila <atesz(at)ritek(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-20 20:06:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:27:15PM +0100, Antal Attila wrote:
> We have complex databases with some 100million rows (2-3million new

How much space does that equate to?

> records per month). Our current servers are working on low resposibility
> in these days, so we have to buy new hardver for database server. Some
> weeks ago we started to work with PostgreSQL8.1, which solved the
> problem for some months.
> There are some massive, hard query execution, which are too slow (5-10
> or more minutes). The parallel processing is infrequent (rarely max. 4-5
> parallel query execution).
> So we need high performance in query execution with medium parallel
> processability.
> What's your opinion what productions could help us? What is the best or
> only better choice?
> The budget line is about 30 000$ - 40 000$.

Have you optimized the queries?

Items that generally have the biggest impact on performance in
decreasing order:
1. System architecture
2. Database design
3. (for long-running/problem queries) Query plans
4. Disk I/O
5. Memory
6. CPU

So, I'd make sure that the queries have been optimized (and that
includes tuning postgresql.conf) before assuming you need more hardware.

Based on what you've told us (very little parallelization), then your
biggest priority is probably either disk IO or memory (or both). Without
knowing the size of your database/working set it's difficult to provide
more specific advice.