Re: number of loaded/unloaded COPY rows

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: number of loaded/unloaded COPY rows
Date: 2005-12-17 20:05:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> On Dec 16 08:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think an int64 is the proper solution. If int64 isn't really
> > 64-bits, the code should still work though.
>
> (I'd prefer uint64 instead of an int64.) In src/include/c.h, in
> this or that way it'll assign a type for uint64, so there won't
> be any problem for both 64-bit and non-64-bit architectures.

Right.

> I've attached the updated patch. This one uses uint64 and

You should use the patches email list instead for patches. What I
usually do is to post the discussion to hackers, and just send a second
email to patches with the patch, or put the patch at a URL and reference
the URL in the email message.

> UINT64_FORMAT while printing uint64 value inside string.

Sounds good.

> I used char[20+1] as buffer size to store uint64 value's string
> representation. (Because, AFAIK, maximum decimal digit length of
> an [u]int64 equals to 2^64 - 1 = 20.) In this context, when I
> looked at the example usages (for instance as in
> backend/commands/sequence.c) it's stored in a char[100] buffer.
> Maybe we should define a constant in pg_config.h like
> INT64_PRINT_LEN. This will define a standard behaviour with
> INT64_FORMAT for using integers inside strings.

We could do that, but it might be overkill. I don't think we use a
#define for int32 to string either, but if you want to clean it up just
define the int32 and int64 defines in c.h and patch the code to use them
consistently. That might be nice.

> For instance:
> char buf[INT64_PRINT_LEN+1];
> snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), INT64_FORMAT, var);

Yep, that is nice. I am thinking you should submit your COPY patch
using a hard-coded constant, then submit a followup patch that fixes
this for int32 and int64 in all places.

> > In fact we have this TODO, which is related:
> >
> > * Change LIMIT/OFFSET and FETCH/MOVE to use int8
> >
> > This requires the same type of change.
> >
> > I have added this TODO:
> >
> > * Allow the count returned by SELECT, etc to be to represent
> > as an int64 to allow a higher range of values
> >
> > This requires a change to es_processed, I think.
>
> I think so. es_processed is defined as uint32. It should be
> uint64 too.

Yep.

> I tried to prepare a patch for es_processed issue. But when I look
> further in the code, found that there're lots of mixed usages of
> "uint32" and "long" for row count related trackings. (Moreover,
> as you can see from the patch, there's a problem with ULLONG_MAX
> usage in there.)

Agreed, it needs cleanup. We have tried to fix it as we worked on other
things, but we need a full review of what is happening. However, let's
do one thing in each patch so we can easily evaluate things.

> I'm aware of the patch's out-of-usability, but I just tried to
> underline some (IMHO) problems.
>
> Last minute edit: Proposal: Maybe we can define a (./configure
> controlled) type like pg_int (with bounds like PG_INT_MAX) to use
> in counter related processes.

Seems we are best just defining a constant in c.h that is larger than
anything we might need on any platform, rather than run configure tests
for this.

> AFAIK, there're two ways to implement a counter:
>
> 1. Using integer types supplied by the compiler, like uint64 as we
> discussed above.
> Pros: Whole mathematical operations are handled by the compiler.
> Cons: Implementation is bounded by the system architecture.

I think we are at a point that people running on systems with no int64
support should not expect to get valid return values for >2 billion row
COPY operations. There is no way on their platform for them even to
work with those values, so why be concerned about platforms that do not
support it. Certainly converting everything to int64 from int32 isn't
going to make things any _worse_ for them than what they have now, and
it will fix the majority of our platforms. We are not getting lots of
complaints about our current behavior so I think we are OK just
improving the platforms that support int64.

> 2. Using arrays to hold numeric values, like we did in the
> implementation of SQL numeric types.
> Pros: Value lengths bounded by available memory.
> Cons: Mathematical operations have to be handled by software.
> Therefore, this will cause a small overhead in performance
> aspect compared to previous implementation.
>
> I'm not sure if we can use the second implementation (in the
> performance point of view) for the COPY command's counter. But IMHO
> it can be agreeable for SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE operations'
> counters. OTOH, by using this way, we'll form a proper method for
> counting without any (logical) bounds.
>
> What's your opinion? If you aggree, I'll try to use the second
> implementation for counters - except COPY.

No, please use int64 at this point. I think the number of platforms
without int64 support is small, and dwindling, _and_ very few of those
non-int64-supporting platforms are doing operations of the size that
would hit this limit.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us