how do I import pqsl 7.1 database into 8.0

From: Mike Shen <x(dot)shen(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how do I import pqsl 7.1 database into 8.0
Date: 2005-12-15 23:04:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

hello list,

I have gone through FAQs, still got problem. so I just ask the question here.

we got a suse box running postgresql 7.1. now we are building a new box to replace it. the new machine is running fedora core 4 with postgresql 8.0.

on the old box, we did pg_dump drbooks > drbooks.out
on the new one, createdb drbooks
then pg_restore -d drbooks -Fc drbooks.out
we got error "did not find magic string in the file header"

what can we do to fix that?

any input welcome.

Regards,

Mike