Re: outdated (bad) information in pg_stat_activity

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: outdated (bad) information in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2005-12-15 22:53:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:02:02PM -0800, Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
> I too have had issues with "stuck" entries in the pg_stat_activity view -- the real pid is long gone but postgres still thinks the process is there.
>
> It would be real sweet to have a way of cleaning this table with bringing postgres off-line.

Rather than trying to clean things up by hand, could the stats system
instead periodically check to make sure that all the PIDs it knows about
actually still exist? I think that should be a pretty cheap check to
perform...

> Greg Williamson
> DBA
> GlobeXplorer LLC

On a side note, is GlobeXplorer using PostgreSQL? Would they be willing
to let us publicize that fact? Better yet, would they be willing to do a
case study?