Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: John Mohr <jtmohr(at)healthconresources(dot)com>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL
Date: 2005-12-13 16:56:32
Lists: pgsql-php

--- John Mohr <jtmohr(at)healthconresources(dot)com> wrote:

> I've been reading the "AP2" thread and take it as a
> matter of faith that
> PGSQL is better than MySQL. It seems more complete
> for one thing. I have
> tried to explain my reasoning to several people when
> convincing them to use
> one versus the other. But does anyone know if there
> is a quasi-categorical
> comparison of the two so that I could speak with
> more conviction other than
> "I know it's better".

John, when i first started developing in open source,
i did a lot of research on dbs. mysql had a HUGE,
HUGE, HUGE advantage in documentation at the time -
and that was a big factor since i'd be starting from
scratch.

i chose postgrsql inspite of this. native foreign key
constraints was a big reason. i came to like
transactions and it is more sql compliant than mysql.
it is also less buggy.

the license is also much more application developer
friendly - and this is HUGE if you ever want to
develop a product and market it.

having said that, mysql is an INCREDIBLY popular
database. those people that know it inside and out
will not be inclined to change easily - the devil you
know is better than the devil you don't know...

while i'd choose pgsql 10/10 times, a 5 year veteran
of mysql will likely choose mysql 10/10 times - and
that developer may well be an excellent developer and
that may be the right choice for him/her.

now, if you are going to be developing apps as part of
a team of folks who want to use mysql, that would be
tough. i'd want to use postgresql, too. do your
research regarding sql compliance, bug issues and
hacked "features" in mysql that were designed into
postgresql natively.

this isn't a run down on mysql, either. it is a fact
they hacked in features after the fact. a good mysql
developer may be able to tweak the system so it works
fine, but i prefer to avoid the jumping and the hoops.

mysql has a reputation for being blazing fast... but
i have to say my postgresql db on our lan is blink of
the eye fast, too - although my records are currently
in the 100s, not 100,000s.

best of luck.