Re: Schema bug

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Guillaume LELARGE <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema bug
Date: 2005-12-12 23:37:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

FWIW, here's what we ended up going with in newsysviews:

create or replace function _pg_sv_system_schema(name) returns boolean
as 'select $1 in (name ''pg_catalog'', name ''pg_toast'',
name ''pg_sysviews'', name ''information_schema'')'
language sql immutable strict;

This was after someone dug into pg_dump to see what it considers a
system schema (AndrewSN I believe).

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:29:01AM +0100, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> >> I'd prefer system-catalogs being excluded by name - preferably the
> >> exclusion-list would be editable, and part of the pgadmin preferences.
> >> Seems more transparent to me - and future-proof, in the sense that
> >> even if a future postgres version chooses to rename some catalog, the
> >> user will be able to just add the new names to the exclusion list.
> >
> > There's already a database restriction and a schema restriction, just
> > use it.
> Ups... Should have checked before posting... Doesn't invalidate my
> point, though ;-)
>
> BTW, I just checked the postgresql CVS, and found the in the beginnings
> of schema-support in pgsql, the public schema had oid 2071. It got
> changed to 2200 before 7.3 was released, though.
>
> greetings, Florian Pflug

Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org