Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO)
Date: 2005-12-12 03:13:25
Lists: pgsql-patches

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Why is the TODO list keep in the source code repository, anyway? One
> > alternative would be to move it to a wiki. That would allow other people
> > to contribute to maintaining the list, with less procedural overhead.
> > The GCC folks do this, for example: example: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/
>
> I agree with this. It would add visibility to what the direction of
> PostgreSQL as well as put a friendly face on what the heck is
> happening.
>
> I get a lot of calls that are basically, "What's coming in 8.2" Unless I
> follow the lists it is not an easy bit of information to get. A wiki that had
> a page that said, "What's planned for 8.2!" or would be great!
>
> It would also be useful to see who has signed on as the lead or to work on
> a particular subproject in case other developers would like to either lead
> or help a lead on the project.
>
> I would request a vote interface but I think we would get to many
> mysqlisms ;)

You are dreaming on this one. Of our changes in any major release,
probably 40% are from the TODO list, and 60% are just patches submitted.
How does aomething even get on the TODO list from a patch?

To do what you want requires someone with technical knowlege to spend
serious time analyzing the CVS commits and digesting it into a web page.
I can be done, but it isn't the same purpose as the TODO list.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us