Re: TODO-Item: Rename of constraints

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO-Item: Rename of constraints
Date: 2005-12-08 15:04:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:54:44PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 10:24 +0100, Joachim Wieland wrote:

> > o %Allow ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... RENAME
> > o Have ALTER INDEX update the name of a constraint using that index
> > o Add ALTER TABLE RENAME CONSTRAINT, update index name also

> My compiler complains:
> pg_constraint.c: In function ???RenameConstraint???:
> pg_constraint.c:726: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and
> code

Sorry, that's some leftover from code rearrangements. I attach a new version
of the patch, this time in the requested context-diff format which I forgot
to create the other day.

> This probably allows you to rename an inherited constraint to another
> name. Not sure if that is a problem, but it probably ought to throw an
> error, but I'm not sure who would care.

I thought about that but since the constraint gets copied anyway and you
have two (more or less) independent constraints afterwards I didn't see a
reason why it should be forbidden to rename it. One could throw a warning at
least but I don't remember many cases where postgresql issues a warning
saying: "hey, what you're doing might be bad but I'll do it anyway". If
the consensus on this one however is to forbid it or issue a warning at
least, it would be no problem to detect this situation once your inherited
constraint patch is in.

> I'll test some more to see if my work on inherited constraints conflicts
> in any way.

Ok, thanks.

Joachim

Attachment Content-Type Size
renameconstraint.reworked.1.diff text/plain 21.5 KB