Using a 250GB RAID10 server for postgres

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
To: Postgresql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using a 250GB RAID10 server for postgres
Date: 2005-12-05 19:14:37
Lists: pgsql-general

[Didn't get any replies on the Perform list -- hoping someone can help
me here]

Hi. We have a server provided for a test of a web application with the
following specifications:

1 Dual core 1.8GHz Opteron chip
6 GB RAM
approx 250GB of RAID10 storage (LSI card + BBU, 4 x 15000 RPM,16MB
Cache SCSI disks)

The database itself is very unlikely to use up more than 50GB of storage
-- however we are going to be storing pictures and movies etc etc on the
server.

I understand that it is better to run pg_xlog on a separate spindle but
we don't have that option available at present.

Normally I use ext3. I wondered if I should make my normal partitions
and then make a +/- 200GB LVM VG and then slice that initially into a
100GB ext3 data directory and a 50GB xfs postgres data area, giving
100GB to use between these as they grow. I haven't used LVM with xfs
before, however.

Advice gratefully received.
Rory