Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: James Dey <james(at)mygus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?
Date: 2005-12-05 16:38:47
Lists: pgsql-php

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:11:25 +0200,
James Dey <james(at)mygus(dot)com> wrote:

> I have been experiencing incredible slow performance from my server, and am
> at a loss for solution. Should I be moving back to a 32 bit system?

I think it is unlikely that the switch to 64bit architecture is what is causing
your problem.

You should ask again on the performance list.

You want to include some more details on hardware, such as the amount of memory
and your disk set up.

You should include your postgresql.conf settings as there might be
something there that is causing a problem.

You should state what version of postgres you are running and what OS you
are using.

You should include information about what else is running on that server.
It is possible that something other than Postgres is using the memory.
Have you looked at ps output to try to identify which processes are using
lots of memory?

If you have identified any slow queries, it would be helpful to see EXPLAIN
ANALYSE output for them. Your problem is probably not a bad plan, but there
could be an issue with a query taking up a lot of memory if you workmem
limit is very high.