Re: Compilation psqlODBC againist older PgSQL

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compilation psqlODBC againist older PgSQL
Date: 2005-12-04 21:17:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I could probably hack up some code to suck the value out of pg_config,
> however there is no way I can think of to do the same thing on Windows.
> Because we only require a standard Windows + VC++ enviroment, we don't
> have any of the tools like awk that we'd need to get and manipulate the
> pg_config output.
>
> Given that a build against 8.1 or 8.0 will work with servers back to at
> least 7.2 or so iirc, I really don't think it's worth the pain to try to
> support the older libpqs. Anyone insistent that they cannot build
> against the newer server, will likely have no problem using an
> equivalent vintage of psqlodbc.

I'm agree with windows port. But I didn't agree with linux. There is
a lot of production servers with older PgSQL. Compilation againist
another version is strenge (at least isn't documented).
Two changes (not big) isn't so big problem.
But you support psqlodbc longer then me so you have last word. I'll
accept it.

Maybe it could be interesting to have list of unsupported patches?

Luf