Re: ice-broker scan thread

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ice-broker scan thread
Date: 2005-11-29 16:47:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:42:18AM -0700, David Boreham wrote:

> >Unfortunatly I can't really test it at it's full potential because it
> >uses glibc's default POSIX AIO which is *lame*. No more than one
> >outstanding request per fd which for PostgreSQL is crappy. There was
> >
> I had the impression from the kernel aio mailing list a while back
> that post-<some kernel version> linux, the POSIX aio calls were
> forwarded to the kernel aio interface. Or are you saying that the
> POSIX API itself imposes that limitation ?

By default when you use aio you get the version in libc (-lrt IIRC)
which has the issue I mentioned, probably because it's probably
optimised for the lots-of-network-connections type program where
multiple outstanding requests on a single fd are not meaningful. You
can however link in some other library which gives you kernel support.
However, I don't have a new enough kernel to have the kernel support so
I havn't tested that.

POSIX AIO doesn't prescribe either way.

Have a nice day,