Re: [pgsql-www] 8.1 PDF Documentation.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] 8.1 PDF Documentation.
Date: 2005-11-15 15:30:12
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. November 2005 12:23 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
> > There is no SGML toolchain because SGML has been abandoned as the
> > DocBook markup language. The toolchain that everybody else uses is
> > based on XML DocBook. It has been proposed that we abandon SGML and
> > jump to XML, but the idea has been shot down. And it's possible to
> > convert our SGML to XML automatically and process it with the newer
> > toolchain.
>
> Oh, what is this stable and mature DocBook XML to print output conversion tool
> that you seem to be referring to?

I'm not saying there's any -- I'm just saying nobody else uses SGML.

That said, I just looked at a Gnome book that is published as PDF and
written using XML DocBook, and they seem to use "docbook2pdf" which in
turns appears to be this:

http://sourceware.org/docbook-tools/

One drawback that I can see in that book is that the HTML pages do not
have the nice names our current docs have. Not sure if that's an
inherent property of the XML tools.

That said, I don't have much interest in messing with all this.
Personally I'm pretty happy using the HTML docs (I even read the SGML
directly at times.)