Re: Réf. : RE: Running PostGre on DVD

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: eric(dot)leguillier(at)mpsa(dot)com
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Réf. : RE: Running PostGre on DVD
Date: 2005-11-15 16:10:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 eric(dot)leguillier(at)mpsa(dot)com wrote:

> I don't understand why an user can't WILLINGLY (by EXPLICITLY setting an
> OPTION) allow a privileged administrator to run PostGre.

Well, to start with, it increases the support costs of the product as a
whole to the community. Adding an option with severe security implications
is not free, at least not if you want to be reasonably diligent about
minimizing and documenting the risks. Generally the community tries to
take that seriously, so IMHO just assuming that anyone who sets it knows
the risks isn't acceptable.

Why don't we actually start looking at the actual implications and see
what we can do about them, rather than either assuming they're too great
or too minimal. Maybe we'll come up with solutions to current problems as
well.

> I'm deeply disappointed to be forced to compile my own PostGre and I will
> not.

Well, given that such an option isn't likely to go in before 8.2 given the
policy on dot version changes, I don't think you can get out of compiling
a copy unless you have a year before shipping.