Postgresql Performance

From: Mimi Siu <bbnoopys(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql Performance
Date: 2005-11-14 07:06:42
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello:

I am using Postgresql 8.0.3 with the ODBC driver
(8.01.100). My application will update a batch of
records (~3000 records) and i really need the update
to be completed in very short time. In order to
increase efficience, I have set "fsync=false".

When i simply use psql command line (i,e. "psql -q
DATABASE < update.sql") it takes around 2 sec to
finish the 3000 records update. However, if I use my
ODBC application to update the records, it nearly
takes about 6-8 sec to finish!!!!

Does anyone have any idea on how to improve the
performance of my update record application through
ODBC driver?? (Also I have set the AUTOCOMMIT as off
in my ODBC application already!)

thanks a lot!

http://farechase.yahoo.com