Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

From: Mariusz Czułada <manieq(at)orange(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com
Subject: Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date: 2005-11-07 09:17:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sunday 30 of October 2005 20:17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
> > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
> >
> > 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
> > to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
> > databases.'
> >
> > Your thoughts?
>
> It probably has little impact on us. It is useful perhaps for developer
> servers at existing Oracle sites.

IMHO it is not against PostgreSQL/other OS DBs. It can be, but rather as a
side effect. The main competitor is free Sybase ASE (also Express
Edition :-)).

http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo

Check the limitations. Sounds familiar?

Sybase ASE XE is a MSSQL competitor for low buget projects, ASE is still very
similar to Microsoft's SQL Server. Sybase also declares deep cooperation with
Novell (SuSE distribution). I don't think Oracle does not bother with this.

Regards,

Mariusz Czułada