Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>
Date: 2005-10-27 10:04:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:37:09AM +0200, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> Here is the backtrace, hoping I did it correctly:

Dagnammit. I was wondering if that was going to happen. If your
optimisation is up, the values of arguments to the functions don't
display right (look at the rest, they're obviously not correct). While
it's possible there's a bug that early in the output, I wouldn't bet on
it.

The trick (other than turning off optimisation) is to set the
breakpoint a few lines later, like say mcxt.c:504. You can find out by
simply stepping the debugger until "p size" displays a reasonable
value.

try with: break mcxt.c:504 if size > 1000000000

Hope this helps,