pidfile location missing after restarting crashed server in 8.1

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pidfile location missing after restarting crashed server in 8.1
Date: 2005-10-26 04:34:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fair warning this was in 8.1beta1 so perhaps this is fixed already.

postgres(at)phppgadmin:~$ ./start80.sh
pg_ctl: another postmaster may be running; trying to start postmaster anyway
FATAL: pre-existing shared memory block (key 5480001, ID 4063233) is still in
use
HINT: If you're sure there are no old server processes still running, remove
the shared memory block with the command "ipcrm", or just delete the file
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/80/postmaster.pid".
pg_ctl: could not start postmaster
Examine the log output.

postgres(at)phppgadmin:~$ ./start81.sh
pg_ctl: another postmaster may be running; trying to start postmaster anyway
FATAL: pre-existing shared memory block (key 5481001, ID 4030464) is still in
use
HINT: If you're sure there are no old server processes still running, remove
the shared memory block with the command "ipcclean", "ipcrm", or just delete
the file "postmaster.pid".
pg_ctl: could not start postmaster
Examine the log output.

the difference being that in 8.0 we printed the full path of the pid file, in
8.1 we do not. there could be a good reason for this, but istm that if we
can detect that a pid file is in our way, we should know its path.

--
Robert Treat