Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips

From: Brent Wood <b(dot)wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Onyx <omueller(at)i3(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips
Date: 2005-10-19 04:34:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Onyx wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> Does anyone know if PostgreSQL supports running on dual processors, and will
> efficiently utilize the dual processors for performance? More specifically,
> will PostgreSQL utilize the dual processor performance of using dual-core
> AMD chips? Any information would be helpful...

Not directly Postgres related, but anandtech had a review of DB2 &
MySQL on dual Xeon & Opteron systems. More focused on the differences
between 32bit & 64 bit OS, & Opteron vs Xeon, but possibly of interest:

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2291
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447&p=4

I have not benchmarked it, but my impression of moving from SuSE 9.2 32bit
to SuSE 9.3 64bit, on the same box, both with a custom compiled similar
Postgres install, is that the 9.3 64bit is faster & more responsive
running Postgres. How much the OS version upgrade vs 32-64 change I can't
say.

Cheers,

Brent Wood