Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Matthew Terenzio <matt(at)jobsforge(dot)com>, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-17 18:50:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:20:00AM -0700, elein wrote:
> The scenario that no one has mentioned wrt postgresql and oracle is
> that oracle can take the source code, branch it or not and support it.
> If they branch, it will have less credibility and it will become "interesting".
> But support money from a big name company (Oracle) should be
> forthcoming in either case.
>
> Long term that does not help the support companies, like mine and those
> mentioned above. Or maybe it does because we're smaller and faster.

I suspect that if Oracle were to actually formally endorse PostgreSQL by
offering support that people would be falling all over themselves to
find out what "this PostgreSQL thing" was all about. It would probably
be a win for everyone already doing work with PostgreSQL; existing
customers probably wouldn't be motivated enough to change support
providers just because it's Oracle, and meanwhile many people would look
to see who else was offering Oracle support.

Of course, Oracle could tank the market by offering support at
un-competitive prices, but I can't think of a reason for them to do that
off the top of my head.