Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function

From: tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'David Fetter'" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Date: 2005-10-10 15:26:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Here is a direct quote from the ORACLE manual:

<quote>
On most platforms, the concatenation operator is two solid vertical bars, as shown in Table 3-3. However, some IBM platforms use broken vertical bars for this operator. When moving SQL script files between systems having different character sets, such as between ASCII and EBCDIC, vertical bars might not be translated into the vertical bar required by the target Oracle environment. Oracle provides the CONCAT character function as an alternative to the vertical bar operator for cases when it is difficult or impossible to control translation performed by operating system or network utilities. Use this function in applications that will be moved between environments with differing character sets.
</quote>

Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net