Re: Possibly corrupted shared memory, PostgreSQL 8.1 beta2, Windows 2000

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Jean-Pierre Pelletier <pelletier_32(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possibly corrupted shared memory, PostgreSQL 8.1 beta2, Windows 2000
Date: 2005-10-07 15:24:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:19:25AM -0400, Jean-Pierre Pelletier wrote:

> Our only remaining PostgreSQL problem is with pg_stat_actitivity
> being unreliable and the statistics collector being restarted many times
> every day.

The stats collector (which mantains pg_stat_activity among other things)
uses an UDP socket to receive info from the backends, so if UDP
communication is crippled, it's going to be unreliable. Maybe there are
too many lost packets. I don't know what could cause it to die though
-- certainly not lost packets. (The postmaster restarts it
automatically if it detects it's not running.)

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse.