Re: Online comments system

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Philip Rodrigues <phil(dot)rod(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Online comments system
Date: 2005-10-06 00:32:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 16:47, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> I'd be grateful if you could tell me your experiences with the comment
> system: Do users contribute?

yes. spammers contribute more though :-)

> Are the contributions useful?

some of them certainly are. i noticed someone just submitted several example
functions into the online docs, those are certainly useful for others and
probably would be good to incorporate into the docs.

You will have to deal with spam though. At first it wasnt a problem. Then we
had to set up keyword blockers (mortgage,poker,etc...) soon we will be
integrating one of those "type in this image" systems... spam sucks.

> Is the system
> easy to administer?

Yeah. We have a web interface to approve comments and also a mailing list with
links to administer comments.

> Also, is there some information online about the technical side of the
> system? Is the source code available?

The source code is available from our project page:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/projdisplay.php
look under the portal module.

please direct any follow up questions to pgsql-www. Thats where all of the
web stuff is actually worked on, so the folks who know the system all hang
out there.

--
Robert Treat