Re: Updated documentation for new sequence binding

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated documentation for new sequence binding
Date: 2005-10-05 18:58:53
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:54:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> pgman wrote:
> > I have marged Tom's description of the new sequence binding with text I
> > was working on. I modified it to follow the existing "we used to do X,
> > now we do Y" pattern in the surrounding entries:
> >
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/pgsql/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Sorry, this is a better URL:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Out of curiosity, how is this file maintained as development is done?
The reason I'm asking is because it would be nice to have links to more
information, especially for the 'one-liner' items in 1.3.1 for example,
and it seems like that would be easier to do along-the-way rather than
waiting for the end. Even a link to a mailing list discussion would be
better than nothing...

That said, what's

Improve the optimizer, including auto-resizing of hash joins (Tom)

mean?

On full_page_writes, are we certain that all battery-backed disk caches
ensure that partial-page writes can't happen?

Maybe pg_column_size should just be included in the item for all the
other size functions brought into the backend? If not, ISTM they should
at least be one after the other in the list...

Finally, weren't more changes made it contrib than what's listed?
Nothing's said about pg_autovacuum for example.