Re: pg_dump versioning

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump versioning
Date: 2005-10-03 03:51:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Watching the discussion about how to handle nextval() and keep it dump
> compatible makes me wonder: would it be useful to encode database or
> dump version info into dumps? ISTM it would make it much more feasible
> to handle changes to how things work automatically.

Yes, we have talked about that, and it would work for pg_dump-generated
dumps. What it might not work for cleanly are dumps moved a different
way, or application changes, so while it might help in some cases, being
able to get things working without the version info is desirable.

If we ever get to a case where we _need_ to use it, it would be good to
have, just in case.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us