Re: Install pg_regress script to support PGXS?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Fabien COELHO <fabien(at)coelho(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install pg_regress script to support PGXS?
Date: 2005-09-30 13:42:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 03:24:15PM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
> >While testing the recent pgxs patch, I noticed that you can build and
> >install contrib with PGXS:
> >It seems that it ought to work to run installcheck too:
> > gmake USE_PGXS=1 installcheck
> >but this does not quite work because the pg_regress script isn't
> >included in the installation tree. (If you copy it to where it'd
> >need to be, installcheck works.)
> >
> >Is it worth including pg_regress in the installation to make this
> >work? Seems like it might be handy for external modules to be able
> >to run self-tests.
>
> The reason it was not included at first is that it seemed to me that
> selftests require a temporary installation [...]

The temporary installation is required to run "make check", but not to
run "make installcheck" (which uses the regular installation instead.)
So just including pg_regress is enough, and since it's a small and
useful program, I'd say it's a reasonable thing to do.

(Maybe we should audit it for security problems, just in case the
distributors choose to include it in packages. The temp file usage for
$TMPFILE looks "predictable," thus maybe it _is_ insecure. Apparently
it can be made to clobber any existing file owned by whoever runs it.)

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"Entristecido, Wutra (canción de Las Barreras)