Re: 8.1 release, next take

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1 release, next take
Date: 2005-09-19 17:10:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Oleg,

> Probably, better refer to popular GiST based extensions
> like full text indexing, geo-spatial extensions ? They automatically
> inherit concurrency and recovery features from GiST.

Sure ... on the Presskit Web Page. The stuff in the release really has to be
"buzzword compliant": that is, either be an implementation of some known
database feature (roles, partitioning, 2PC) or have huge performance gains
(bitmapscan, clock-sweep) or specifically counteract anti-PostgreSQL FUD
(shared locks).

Bascially, these are "PR" features which reporters who don't understand them
can recognize by the terms used and that give us "checklist compliance" in
the minds of pointy-haired bosses.

This means that many features, which may be *more* important to existing
users, appear on the Presskit web page and the community release notice but
not in the press release. For 8.1, this includes the GiST improvements,
64-bit shared mem, indexing MIN/MAX, autovacuum in postmaster, psql
subtransactions, better pl/perl memory use, and shared dependencies (and
probably something I've forgotten). All of these are cool features that the
people who already use PostgreSQL are looking forward to. None of them stand
a chance of being picked up by the trade press.

Are you following my reasoning, here?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions