psql, pg_dumpall, remote server questions...

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql, pg_dumpall, remote server questions...
Date: 2005-09-12 23:46:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

i've been having a dandy day reading the pgsql docs...
and i think i learned some things, but i want to
bounce them off of ya'll to see if i'm right or out to
lunch.

here are the facts:

1. current production server: pgsql 7.3.x on webhost.
2. current dev server: 7.4.6 on laptop (w/ net
access).
3. future production server: 8.0.3 on on intranet
server (i can vpn in, however, i don't think it has
access to the net - i coul dbe wrong and i'll talk to
the admin next time i see him).

i think my first step is going to be like so...

clear bogus data in current dev server (easy enough),
backup data in current prod server (using pgsql from
newer db version) and restore data to current dev
server.

i've been reviewing psql and pg_dump and i'm not able
to understand how this works just yet.

i think i log log into pgsql like so...

psql dbname -h [full url to db on webhost here - is
this possible?] -U [username goes here] -p [port goes
here]

will this work? can i access my webhost in this
manner (putting url in as host option)?

tia...

http://mail.yahoo.com