What's the point of creating a schema?

From: <kynn(at)panix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What's the point of creating a schema?
Date: 2005-09-10 17:47:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

(Sorry for asking so many questions, but I can't find answers in the
documentation.)

Why would one bother to create a schema (with "create schema blah
blah")? Isn't a database enough to keep tables, etc. separate? I can
see that schemas *may* be useful for complicated designs having a few
hundred tables (i.e. one in which name collisions could become a
common problem), but I can't think of any other situation.

Thanks!

kj