CHECK vs REFERENCES

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CHECK vs REFERENCES
Date: 2005-09-10 03:23:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Which is faster, where the list involved is fixed? My thought is that
since it doesn't have to check a seperate table, the CHECK itself should
be the faster of the two, but I can't find anything that seems to validate
that theory ...

The case is where I just want to check that a value being inserted is one
of a few possible values, with that list of values rarely (if ever)
changing, so havng a 'flexible list' REFERENCED seems relatively overkill

Thoughts, or pointers to a doc that disproves, or proves, what I believe?

Thanks ...

----