Re: Relationship beween sequences (serial) and tables

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Thusitha Kodikara <kthusi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Relationship beween sequences (serial) and tables
Date: 2005-09-08 12:42:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:03:26AM -0700, Thusitha Kodikara wrote:
> In many of my tables the primary key is bigserial for which
> sequences are automatcially generated. Through pg_catalog tables
> how can I find the relationship petween each table and its corresponding
> sequence ?

Depending on what information you're looking for, you might need
to query any of the following tables:

pg_attrdef
pg_attribute
pg_class
pg_constraint
pg_depend
pg_index

See also "Miscellaneous Functions" ("System Information Functions"
in 8.x) in the "Functions and Operators" chapter of the documentation.
It can also be useful to run "psql -E" or use "\set ECHO_HIDDEN"
in psql to show the SQL queries that psql makes for \d commands.

--
Michael Fuhr