Re: pg_config/share_dir

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config/share_dir
Date: 2005-09-08 00:48:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> pg_config serves a function of recording the configuration,

pg_config was meant (as opposed to "serves") to provide information that
is of use for building third-party things. Hence includedir, libdir
for building, pkglibdir for installing. The option --configure records
the configuration, if you like, but I don't see the point of giving
users direct access to directories that they have no use for. I mean,
what would anyone want to do with pg_config --localedir? Certainly not
store the locale files of his own module there. There is a point to be
made that sysconfdir should be exposed, perhaps for the benefit of GUI
configuration editors, but that seems theoretical to me.

--
Peter Eisentraut