Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch
Date: 2005-09-02 15:53:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 03:04:20PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Supports any glibc platform and possibly Win32.

MacOS X [1] supports this also apparently. And for glibc it appears to
have been accepted as part of the API since 2.3.2 and formally accepted
into LSB3.0. Win32 claims to have supported this since '98.

But even though the MacOS X manpage says "BSD Library Functions" at the
top of the page, neither FreeBSD or OpenBSD doesn't appear to have it
at all. Not really a lot of chance that we could pull portions of the
Darwin libc into PostgreSQL, huh?

Maybe the easiest thing would be to download the libc locale support of
one of the BSDs, remove the global variable and use that...

[1] http://www.hmug.org/man/3/newlocale.php

Have a nice day,