Re: PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION - Should be Documented as 3?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION - Should be Documented as 3?
Date: 2005-09-01 17:28:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:36:12PM +0000, Matt Miller wrote:

> But src/include/storage/bufpage.h says:
>
> "/*
> * Page layout version number 0 is for pre-7.3 Postgres releases.
> * Releases 7.3 and 7.4 use 1, denoting a new HeapTupleHeader layout.
> * Release 8.0 changed the HeapTupleHeader layout again.
> * Release 8.1 redefined HeapTupleHeader infomask bits.
> */
> #define PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION 3"
>
> So, should the attached be applied?

Also it would be nice to include a patch to mention that piece of
documentation in the comment, so when we increment the version number
again we remember to update the docs.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for