Re: size of indexes and tables (more than 1GB)

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: jose fuenmayor <jafn82(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: size of indexes and tables (more than 1GB)
Date: 2005-08-30 13:01:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:38:03 -0400,
jose fuenmayor <jafn82(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> i am using postgreSql 8.0.3 i've try vacuum "vacuum full" the hole database
> but it takes too long, seems it will never be finished, i've tried "vacuum
> <table_name>" and the table remains nearly the same as isee i my PGDATA
> directory. is this normal? . is there something i can do ?

Have you tried VACUUM FULL on just that table?

It may be that your FSM setting isn't high enough to remove all of the
dead tuples with a normal vacuum.

How long did you wait when you tried to vacuum full the whole database?

Another option is to use the CLUSTER command on the big table. If that
table is mostly dead tuples, cluster may run faster than vacuum full.