Re: Stuff running slooow

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net, scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuff running slooow
Date: 2005-08-25 21:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:26:25PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>>> So I take it the bottleneck is the box running the mailing list?
>>
>> Usually that, or av.hub.org which does the centralised anti virus/anti
>> spam (iirc).
>
> Does it scan every single incomming email? It might make more sense to
> have the mailing list software first validate that the email is from a
> valid subscriber.

I have just about every anti- filter that I can find enabled on postfix
itself, but its postfix itself that does the content filtering, not the
mailing list software ... so thet anti-virus is hit before the mailing
list software even sees it ... we also have spamassassin running, and
filters in place to reject any messages that trigger that ...

As a couple of ppl have found out by becoming 'moderators' for the mailing
lists, there are *alot* of messages through the server that aren't list
subscribers, but are legit emails ...

The process for email right now is:

scan for virus -> analyze/tag for spam -> pass to majordomo

majordomo then checks the spam tags and disregards based on a set of
rules, and what is left either has to wait for moderator approval/reject
*or* send onto the list, depending on if someone is subscribed or not ...

If y'all would like, I can eliminate the anti-virus/anti-spam checks and
just let it all go through though ... *evil grin*

----