Re: How this query!

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Richard Susanto <richard(at)orbisindonesia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How this query!
Date: 2005-08-25 13:19:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 18:44:00 +0700,
Richard Susanto <richard(at)orbisindonesia(dot)com> wrote:
> Folks,
> would you like help me how to query this case.

This question is off topic for the pgsql-admin list, it should have been
asked on the pgsql-sql list because it was a question about SQL. (I probably
wouldn't have said anything if it had been posted to the pgsql-general
or pgsql-novice lists, but it is definitely not a question even remotely
related to postgres administration.)

> I have tbl_a, the fields are :
> item_record
> item_product_name
> item_qty
>

> if the data are :
>
> item_record = 1,2,3,4,5,6
> item_product_name = a,b,a,c,d,c,...
> item_qty = 10,5,15,10,20,5,...
>
> How the query to sum item_qty_total if i want the result :
> item_product_name = a,b,c,d
> item_qty_total = 25,5,15,20

Use GROUP BY item_product_name and sum(item_qty). Something like:

SELECT item_product_name, sum(item_qty) AS item_qty_total
FROM tbl_a
GROUP BY item_product_name
ORDER BY item_product_name
;