function to escape single quotes

From: Saranya Sivakumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: function to escape single quotes
Date: 2005-08-24 13:39:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I would like to write a PL/PGSQL function that would escape any occurence of single quotes in a string, and call this function before inserting the unescaped strings into some tables. Is this a good approach to make sure all strings are escaped before inserting into tables? I thought this would be a good idea as there would be a single point of control on escaping the strings.

For example, in our customer_data table we have the fields firstname,lastname, street etc. Some people's name have single quotes in them, and some people have addresses with single quotes in them. So I need to write a function that would take any string, see if it has a quote in it and escape it. Then, is it possible to write a trigger before inserting to call this function and then perform the insert??

Please give me some pointers on writing this function and creating the trigger.

Thanks,
Saranya