Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date: 2005-08-14 18:33:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 01:13:54PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I think in a way, one of our allies is SQLLite, which sounds a little
> strange. However, it's very simple, gets the job done (that is, puts
> bits on physical storage and retrieves them), and doesn't claim to be
> something it's not. MySQL gets on our nerves because they equate their
> capabilities with those of PostgreSQL.
>
> SQLLite has also recently replaced MySQL as the "built-in" database
> layer for PHP. Hopefully that will cause a lot of people will associate
> MySQL with SQLLite rather than PostgreSQL.

Has anyone looked at how easy it would be to migrate an application from
SQLLite to PostgreSQL? I'm asking not because I think we need to try and
take space away from them, but because a number of sites/projects that
start out thinking "oh, this will never grow beyond a few users" end up
in a lot of pain when that assumption is proven false. Livejournal is a
great example of this. So it would be good if those people had a
moderately painless means to migrate to PostgreSQL after they out-grew
what SQLLite has to offer. Perhaps it would be worth trying to work with
the SQLLite folks on this.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineer 512-569-9461 jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com