[sig-beer-west] Saturday 8/13 at 18:00 in Berkeley

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [sig-beer-west] Saturday 8/13 at 18:00 in Berkeley
Date: 2005-08-10 03:59:40
Lists: sfpug

extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

sig-beer-west
Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 18:00[1]
San Francisco Bay area

[1] http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Beer. Mental stimulation.

Please note that SBW events now take place on the second Saturday of
the month.

This event:
* Saturday, 8/13/2005, 18:00, at Jupiter, Berkeley

Coming events (second Saturdays):
* Saturday, 09/10/2005, 18:00, location to be determined
* Saturday, 10/08/2005, 18:00, location to be determined
* Saturday, 11/12/2005, 18:00, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place at 18:00 on Saturday, August
13, 2005 at Jupiter, 2181 Shattuck Avenue (at Center Street) across
from the Downtown Berkeley BART station. Call 510-THE-TAPS for
directions. They have a fine website with all sorts of good info
about:
* Jupiter itself[2]
* Their beer[3]
* Their food[4]
* How to get there (contains map)[5]

[2] http://www.spacearchive.info/military.htm
[3] http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/index.html
[4] http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/about/index.html
[5] http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/beer/index.html

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, cow-orkers,[6] and
others (of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass with
interesting folks from all over the place.

[6] http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/food/index.html

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month. (Do it now
before you forget!) sig-beer-west occurs on the second Saturday of
each month.

Want to suggest a venue? Suggestions for new places to sip and gab
are always welcome. Have questions, comments, or other ideas
concerning sig-beer-west? Send all correspondence to the current
sig-beer-west Instigator. The Instigator's handle is extasia. The
Instigator's email address is <*the handle*> at <*the handle*> dot
<*org*>. A subject beginning with "sbw: " will increase the chances
that the Instigator's spam filters don't block your message.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends". How do I
know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend. You
just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
month's event. That's it. Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in
hanging out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
folks. Please do join us.

3. Q: I've been thinking about attending sig-beer-west for some time
now. Maybe I should start with this event?

A: Yes!!

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a dc-sage[7] tradition, SIG-beer, which is
described in sig-beer.NET[8] web space as:

SIG-beer, n., origin lost to intoxication:

1. Special Interest Group - Beer!

2. An Interprocessor Communications (IPC) signal that should be
implemented in every O/S kernel. Semantics are left to the
hardware driver for the Robotic Drinks Server. Expected behavior
is that kill -beer <pid>

3. A standing monthly gathering of systems administrators,
past/present/future, and their ilk in Washington, DC. and other
worldwide locations. These gathering consists of a friendly
gathering of people who enjoy tasting/drinking interesting beer
and chatting about computers, life, and how to implement the
SIG-beer into their systems. It started with a group of
dc.sage[9] sysadmins some time in 1997.

[7] http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/directions/index.html
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow-orker
[9] http://www.dc-sage.org/