Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf
Date: 2005-08-08 17:48:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

> > My actual point was that we could put a lot of the options in a global
> > table that could be adjusted versus having the flat file.

You were aware of the virtual view pg_settings, right?

I've considered before adjusting pg_settings so that it would take UPDATEs and
convert them to SET statements. However, I'm not really sure what the
benefit of this would be.

As for making PostgreSQL.conf shorter, I'm personally always open to
suggestions of settings which are useless and could be removed (backed by
testing, of course). See our earlier discussion on commit_siblings.

ANd if you think PostgreSQL is bad, you should see Oracle ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions